Plastic is a very common material utilized by many industries such as aerospace, electronics, automotive, sporting goods, toys,etc.. Sometimes, their final product requires a coating in order to provide protection to the part from external agents. Often, the application process of a coating is lengthy and time consuming due to the conventional solvent-based coatings used, not to mention the release of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) during the drying process.
Energy curable coatings not only improve the efficiency of the process by reducing the curing time (often from hours to minutes or seconds) but significantly reduce the emission of VOCs, rendering coatings with excellent mechanical properties that are also environmentally friendly. Additionally, energy curable coatings are ready to use without mixing required, providing longer shelf life than the conventional 2-part systems.
Spectra Group had the opportunity to successfully develop an energy curable coating (UV light cured) for the encapsulation of plastic parts.Some of the features of this product include:
- Excellent adhesion to PET
- Flexible. Capable of bending 180 degrees without cracking or delaminating.
- Fast and fully cured when exposed to UV light from various UVA-UVB light sources
- 100% solids. No VOC. One component mixture!
- Tack free cure
- Flame retardant properties (UL-V0 rated)
- Humidity protection
- Room temperature cure. No post cure necessary
This product is at the commercial stage production. If you are interested in sample and ordering information, contact us!